Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Muftism: the term and its origins

It has been a long time and I cannot be totally sure, but I think it was I, back in 1993, who coined the term "Muftism". It is now widely accepted and was even used for a documentary on this very same subject. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Muftism, in my view, is basically a local version of Islamism, mixed with a particular ethnic agenda and is supposed to unite an entity against a common enemy that usually happens to be Jewish.

However, when I used this term back in the old my idea was that this ideology of hatred would be put on the same level with the other, Nazism, and they were, indeed, compatible.

If I remember correctly, it was Yasser Arafat's family that actually owned or/and leased a large part of the Gaza Strip of today. And Arafat was brought up at the feet of the Mufti of Jerusalem, Hajj Amin al-Husseini. Thus it should in fact not be surprising that the Muftists of today, commonly referred to as Hamas, should control that piece of land.

The story of Hajj Amin thus has a message for today. Muftism of the 1930s and 1940s claimed thousands of lives, where civilians were murdered for their ancestry's sake, their blood, their religion.

The same thing might happen in the near future, as the modern Muftists, Hamas, are planning to continue the work of their most logical predecessor: The Mufti of Jerusalem.

No comments: